Mittwoch, 2. Mai 2012

Transformation - Kind of final results!

Anjong,

finally my days in the Dutujal laboratory at Dongseo university will wind up in a few days ....

After three months working in the laboratory including some very interesting research I have to start writing my bachelor thesis.... And honestly I don't want to start... Now that spring time is in Korea I rather sit on a mountaintop or go to the beach to have fun with my friends.... Even, because my time in Korea is running out....

Anyway, this morning I had to make a presentation for my coworkers.... because they want to know about my results and maybe some of them didn't know what I was working on...

Of course I gave the very professional slides some touches of ......myself....kkkk

As you know I worked on microalgae transformation.... so it was pretty obvious to addict the first page Optimus Prime! Because he is the master of transformation....




 After this academic introduction I showed them my "Masterplan" it is like the basic structure of my thesis...
 The algae studies had Yoda as godfather, because he is as green as the algaes are.... like the most of them...
 So I showed them all the growth curves referring to the OD (optical density) and the cell count.... and yes.... so many cells has to be counted....
I had to check for all the algae if they can survive in different (or less) salt media concentration, because if I want to co-cultivate them I have to mix a complex media (algae live in salt water - bacteria live in fresh water).... And as the graphs show.... the best conditions are not 100% saltmedia...it is most of the time 75% - 50% media..... so nice!

 After showing them the results of weeks.... and yes.... these three slides are the results of weeks.... I showed them the agro-bacterium growth.... At first in two different kind of bacteria media... I chose Optimus as godfather again, because the bacteria are able to transform the algae...kkkk
 The YEB media was definitely the right choice! The graphs are like starting a rocket!
 So we tried to grow them (like the algae) in different kind of concentrations. But this time we mixed the YEB (bacteria media) with ASW (Artificial seawater (algae media)). And as you can see 50% - 25% are the best conditions. So, perfect results.... After this were about 4 weeks gone and we had the perfect conditions to start the co-cultivation.
 I was thinking about a "master" who can represent co-cultivation. But there was no fictive one... I chose my supervisor... Binod! I think he is the co-cultivation master in my mind...
 In the next slides show you some pictures of co-cultication experiments.... Maybe I'll give you some more information.... I tried with different media and I added a substance called Acetosynergon which is supposed to "perfume" the algae.... because the bacterias have to "kiss" the algae to transfer the DNA! Like french kissing and the tongue will stay in the partners body.... kkkkk And 

 I know the pictures are not the best, because the "Camera-Microskope" is not as good as my camera, but you see that there are more black dots next to the golden lights than anywhere else kkkk

And next week I have to present you more crazy results of more interesting experiments... Because we stole the algae cell walls... maybe in the way the picture shows above, maybe in a different way.... because Iron man doesn't exist...


And of course copyrights for all my work inclusive the slides are mine!!!!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen